Public Water System


  • Renewal applications are sent out 60 days before your expiration date. If you have lost your renewal application or did not receive one contact us for a new copy.

How to get licensed

Levels of Licensing

  • Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 year round resident, or has at least 15 service connections used by year round residents.
  • Transient Non-Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 people for at least 60 days of the year, such as restaurants, campgrounds and hotels.
  • Non-Transient Non-Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 of the same people for at least 6 months of the year, such as schools and factories.

Recommended Best Practices

Monitoring Schedules

Monitoring schedules are available on Drinking Water Watch. If you have any questions regarding specific monitoring requirements, please call the Center for Drinking Water Quality at (401) 222-6867.

Electronic data submission

The Department of Health accepts water quality data from environmental laboratories on behalf of public water suppliers. The web-based system provides an alternative to submitting handwritten or paper-based reports. more

Financial assistance

Many public water system capital improvement projects require financing. We, and the Clean Water Finance Agency, administer the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund to help meet this need. more

Winter Weather

Winter weather events may cause problems for your public water system. The Center for Drinking Water Quality reminds you to prepare for the winter season. more

In the event your public water system loses power or pressure as a result of a weather event, please notify the Center for Drinking Water Quality as soon as possible or within 24 hours by telephone 401-222-6867 or email. A Precautionary Drinking Water Warning must be completed and posted /distributed according to the appropriate requirements.